Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Yorkshire Sculpture Park

Today, we went on a cultural visit to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. I was looking forward to the trip as I had been one or two years ago, but to be honest I didn’t really take full advantage of what was on show the first time around. We started by looking at the map of where to go first. None of us (Me, Ben and Drew) are good at map reading so we just decided to head for the nearest sculpture and work our way around the entire park. I am glad we did this because it meant we were surprised more about what we saw rather than seeing an image of the sculpture on the map, before seeing the actual sculpture.

We had walked half way around the park before we came to the first sculpture that I found interesting (Most of the inspiring objects were in the other half of the park). The object was called, “Basket #7 .Oxley Bank”. It was just a large steel box at the top of a hill that you could climb up and sit inside. I think the fact you could interact with this exhibit made it my favourite of the day. The views from within the corrugated steal cage were stunning, even in the wind, and, well worth the steep walk up to it.



















The Longside Gallery which came just after the Basket was for me the most disappointing part of the Sculpture Park. I just didn’t understand why people would, 1 – bother to do this in the first place, and, 2 – donate money after seeing this exhibit. It was a large room with hanging displays of Sheep’s excrement that had apparently been done by the sheep walking around. A lot of people would consider this art but I don’t. Art should require some skill to produce or make you see things you don’t see at first glance. Tucked away in the back room was a sculpture of a Pineapple which I though was far superior to the buildings main display and I would have liked to have seen this taking up an entire room rather than a load of sheep waste.














Back at the start of the park I found the Underground gallery very inspirational. The Underground gallery had rooms with sculptures that had obviously taken a lot of effort to produce. The first sculpture in the entrance was a huge pine cone made of thick wooden branches all intertwined called the “Stacked Oak”. It was apparently free standing. The second thing in the Underground gallery to inspire me was the “Leaf Stalk Room”. This room had a wall of twigs all tied together that hung from the ceiling with a large circular hole in the middle. This again must have taken along time to produce and in my opinion it was well worth it.

Walking around the park has been a good experience and I fully recommend it to anyone who wishes to be inspired by objects that are far from ordinary.

Here are some other interesting images -

































4 comments:

Craig Allington said...

A very honest account of the day. I too believe that the hidden exhibition in the Longside gallery was far better than the main exhibit but each to their own I guess.

Craig Burgess said...

I failed to understand why the sheep exhibition was art too. There really wasn't much skill behind those pieces of 'art', and they were more a logistical challenge than anything else.

Saying that though there was one of them that I liked which was the one with the tyre tracks running the canvas. But still, not very technically accomplished.

Those pieces in the side room however were fantastic, especially the pineapple which you showed. The detail and patience it must have taken to make them truly beggars belief.

Chris Towell said...

Im so gutted I missed most of these artworks you have photograohs of. Im extremely gutted that I missed the mesh house, but saying that I did see some good exhibitions too.

That pineapple exhibit is really good too. It's ingenious what people can make if they want to and I have a bigger respect for these artists. I was once like Mr Burgess ART = Not Very Good but having walked around this exhibit the other day I thought "Wow it's not that bad actually, some amazing even"

Mark Torrington said...

I agree with you, that sheep excrement is a little bizarre but fine for Creative Papers company in Wales. Only in Wales could they collect, sterilize and mix it to create paper. The water used to wash is given to farmers as fertilizer. They won an award in 2006 worth £20,000.

Where’s there’s muck there’s brass.