Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Delivery Requirements

XHTML (Extensible HyperText Markup Language) 1.0 strict
This will allow me to build all the content of my portfolio. I will use this version because I believe it is the industry standard at this time. I will be validating at strict level because it means my code will be the cleanest possible which should make my portfolio future proof.

CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) 2.1
This will be used to give my portfolio a unique style. This seems to be the most up to date version that most browsers support and offers good features and accessibility.

PHP (Hypertext pre-processor) 4
I have recently been learning about PHP and most of the tutorials and the book I bought were on PHP 4. I will use PHP to create a feedback form and any dynamic content on my portfolio.

MySQL version 5.0.22
This version of MySQL is the one which my host server supports. I will use a database to work with PHP 4, so I can create a section where all my feedback can be easily accessed rather than the feedback going to my email inbox.

FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
This is used to upload files onto the host server. I will use Dreamweavers FTP facility for this.

SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol)
I will add my email address to my portfolio so visitors can contact me and it looks more professional if SMTP is used rather than in text.

4 comments:

Marc Pugh said...

You have stated that you will be using PHP 4 and given some brief about it, but then in the MySQL section you refer to using PHP 5.

Shouldn't it be one or the other? Or are you planning to use features of them both?

Richard said...

Thanks Marc I have changed the post to PHP 4. The reason I was going to use PHP 5 was because the book I bought had PHP 5 on the front of it, but having read more about it, it seems that it is PHP 4 with some 5. I should only need basic PHP for my portfolio so PHP4 should be all I need.

Ben Waller said...

Another problem with PHP5 is that it is not compatible with our hosting package (streamline.net).

That is why I chose PHP4 for my site. For the sort of things we will be using PHP for PHP4 will be all we need.

Anonymous said...

you guys are tossers