Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Portfolio Goals

Portfolio validates as XHTML 1.0 and the CSS 2.1 with no warnings.

I will do this because it means consistency throughout the website. Different browsers render different code errors differently so the website may be viewed differently in different browsers. By reducing the code errors it lessens the chance of consistency errors between browsers. Validating the website also makes it future proof so the site should still be viewable for many years to come. I will use the XHTML and CSS validator at http://www.w3.org/. This will tell me if the site is valid XHTML 1.0 and is the CSS is valid 2.1.


To use a new technique in the portfolio that I haven’t learnt on the course.

I want to either use some very basic Flash on the site or develop a simple Content Management System. I would like to have some knowledge of both but I think the portfolio doesn’t need to have both and I may struggle to learn two new techniques in the required time.


To create a portfolio that has a working print style sheet.

I have only ever created a Print CSS style sheet for one assignment and it didn’t work as intended. I would like to create this style sheet just in case any potential clients or employers view the portfolio and decide to print anything off. I think this may impress them and could lead to job prospect because I am thinking about this kind of thing.


To have the portfolio tested by five people in and outside college.

I would like to user test my portfolio on my peers and people outside the course. I think this would give me a good insight into the quality of the site and also find any errors in the design. I would do this by creating a prototype and then a short survey to test people with.

5 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

I'd say for your second goal you need to say in it precisely what technology you wish to use. If you don't you suffer the danger of changing your mind and never deciding which one you would like to do.

Also, you might decide too late and realise you don't have enough time to learn it.

Suzanne Hullah said...

In your first goal you have stated that you wish to conform your website to XHTML 1.0 and CSS 2.1, but which DOCTYPE do you wish to conform to? You may want to amend that goal slightly just to add some clarity of what you're aiming for.

Testing your website by people inside college and outside college is a good idea. This will give you some feedback from users who don't have the same knowledge and skills as yourself and therefore provide you with better and more constructive criticism.

DREW said...

I think you have hit the nail on the head with most of your goals but I would have to agree with Craig on the the 2nd goal.

In this instance you will need to decide which skill you want to progress. If you can't decide now then maybe you should refine the wording of it to 'to incorporate and learn a new technology' or something like that. By doing this you would meet the goal whichever you choose and you don't have to make the decision now.

Ben Waller said...

I think Craig and Drew are right about your second goal. You would definitely benefit from deciding now which technology to use as you would be much better prepared when it comes to actually implementing it.

Richard said...

At this stage of the assignment I still have an idea what I am going to do for my portfolio. I don’t want to say yes, I want to use Flash and then design a portfolio where a content management system would be most appropriate.

I also don’t want to be in the design process thinking, will I really be able to use this rough design because it might not suit a content management system.

I do want to learn the basics of Flash in the future, but as with our other assignment I think some knowledge of Content Management Systems, just like PHP, are what more employers are looking for.

I think I will re-word it, like you suggest drew.