Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Planning Ahead

Over the next six month I hope to achieve more merits and distinctions than passes. This would be my primary goal as it would show future employers that I am capable of doing professional standard work and also show I am willing to learn new and more technical things if needed in the future.

At the moment I know very little about CSS. I am happy the first assignment back is a CSS assignment because this is my second major goal that I wish to achieve this year. When the course ends I hope to be able, not only to edit XHTML and CSS code but create new websites from scratch. This is one of the reasons I enrolled on this course over a year ago now, so I am looking forward to learning something new over the next coming months.

I plan to take everything one step at a time and make sure my time plans are correct, not just to get merit grades but to use them as a check list. This will show me what I have done and what still needs to be done in order to complete all the tasks required. If I adopt this too all the assignments I don’t see any reason why I can’t become successfully employed in the industry at the end of the course.

I am not that confident about becoming a freelance web designer at the end of the course. The assignment we did over the summer opened my eyes to how hard it is to find clients and the amount of work that is required to even break even in the first year. I will not rule out this entirely but at the moment I am in the frame of mind that I would like to get experience in the industry before starting up on my own.

During the next few months I will look at jobs in the industry as it will give me a good indication of what an employer is looking for. By doing this it should give me the motivation to complete all tasks this year, as this year is going to be a step up in difficulty from the last.

If I can get the right job when I finish the course I will be very happy, but If I need to develop my skills or need any additional ones I will be more than happy to go into a third year of education and earn a degree, whether it be at Wakefield college or elsewhere.

No comments: