Thursday, May 03, 2007

Weird Tourists and CD covers (2nd - 3rd May)

This weeks self study I have concentrated on collecting images for my CD cover designs. I have designed a cover that requires a large number of images. I set out to find images that could come under the category of:
· Space
· Graffiti
· Alcohol
· Water/Sea
· Fire/Fireworks
· Blurry images of light
· Kebabs
· Aircrafts/engines
· Aliens
· Computer devices
· Solar systems

I managed to get some ok images with my digital camera while in Manchester. I must have looked like the worst tourist in the world taking Photos of brick walls and fences.


Back in college on Tuesday and it was very much a get on with it day. I had quite a lot to do this week so I was glad of the time. My CD cover all came together and I think it defiantly draws your eye in. I also think it suits my audience because I see this CD as more trance than ambient so the vivid contrasting colours and shapes give that design a unique edge.


I had time to get the CD booklet digitised ready for the feedback meeting the following day. I am not too happy with the design of the inlay and think I am going to change the centre image on each page. I like the contesting pages but the old fax logo doesn’t really suit what I am going for.

Thursday I concentrated on the CD Back cover which I decided to do white as another contrast to the very lively front cover. I inverted the colours on all the borders images and I think this gives it good contrast. I was frustrated my Freehand because every time I tried to add anything to the page it froze and told me it wasn’t responding. I don’t know wheather it was because I had a number of Photoshop images open which was slowing the computer down but it was annoying after 3-4 attempts to use Freehand.

I had a look at some pre-flight documents and found the information on the net to be quite confusing. Most of the sites I looked contained information that I didn’t need. After a lot of cutting and pasting I think I have got a good skeleton of what a pre flight document should be.

I think this assignment is going at about the right pace I hope to have the CD finished and prepared for Print by the end of next weeks lessons, leaving me the whole of the self study time to write a good evaluation and spend time error checking for anything I might have missed. I also would like time to concentrate on some sketch book work at the end off the assignment so it is ready to hand in with no stress.

I think the last task of the year will be something to do with marking each others work and trying to give it a fair mark. Maybe marking each others sketch books. I wouldn’t like doing this but I hope I’m right in a way because I hope I haven’t just given Steve any ideas!

6 comments:

Craig Allington said...

RE: Your CD work.
Have you used the gamut warning tool when you convert it to CMYK? There seems to be some bright colours on your design and from experience I used with similar images I had to play about with the contrast and stuff to get them to print correctly.

RE: Freehand
I had the same problem when trying to paste in the copyright info. I tried closing everything and restarting the machine. I think it could either just be college computers, or just freehand. No problems with InDesign according to Craig.

RE: Preflight Doc
Dean just left me a comment on my blog asking how I did mine. I uploaded it to my portfolio if you want to take a look. Steves seen mien and said its fine so you can see if your skeleton is right or not, though sure it will be.

Dean said...

Your cover is excellent, I like the use of inverting and flipping images to get more miles out of your photographs. It has an unsymmetrical symmetry to it.

regarding your guesswork; I hope I havent spent a year on my sketchbook and blog to find a student determine my grade.

Richard said...

Thanks for the three comments Craig all three are very useful to me. Although I have never used in design so I am reluctant to try to figure out that software at this late stage of the year.

Thanks for your comments on my CD cover Dean. I know marking each others work will be a task next year thats what got me thinking of it(Im not sure it will be part of the HNC however). But Im sure Steve would have the final say on all marks because he would have to give the correct mark that the governing body would agree with.

Ben Waller said...

I think you have really thought outside the box for the design of your CD and stayed away from the space/electronic theme which immediately strikes you upon listening to the music. I think you have come up with a really impressive design too.

Marc Pugh said...

I've had a word with Steve about the marking our own work next year. We could give any old answer and not be bothered if Steve gives the final mark.

I think that the grade we give is the grade the work gets. I think Steve will be supervising very carefully though.

Craig Burgess said...

Like Steve said, I know everyone will be taking marking someone else's work seriously, and you've got to, especially if you expect everyone else to do the same.

It's going to be an interesting time, marking other people's work.